Job Description: Research and Development Manager
Reports to: Director Genetic Services, Topigs Norsvin Canada
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Date: June 2019
Topigs Norsvin has constructed Delta Canada, a new high-tech genetic nucleus facility in Manitoba, Canada that will drive genetic progress in global selection lines. High precision technologies such as CT scanning, camera technology and automatic feed intake recording equipment are used to select the best individual animals. We are looking for applicants who together with the global GN team have the ambition to set the standard in our world leading genetic program.
The Research and Development Manager is accountable for the genetic performance of Delta Canada, with health, genetic progress and product quality being the key drivers. Effective management will be achieved through leadership and strong communication between all departments as well as great collaboration and coordination with other members of the Topigs Norsvin Canada team and departments within Topigs Norsvin worldwide.
Duties and responsibilities
• Research and development activities
o Initiate improvements in the genetic and product development program.
o Project management of internal R&D and implementation projects.
o Link to local universities, initiate new projects in cooperation with central R&D.
o Identify and complete applications for government subsidy programs and SR&ED
o Maintain internal and external knowledge network.
• Production and quality control
o Direct and oversee quality of the data collection and selection program including
CT scanning technology, automatic feed intake recording equipment and other
high precision phenotype protocols.
o Collaborate with the Topigs Norsvin genetics group in both Canada and
internationally to optimize the genetic program and maximize genetic
o Ensure accurate documentation of production and performance results for use
in the genetic improvement program.
o Maximize the viewing experience for clients and other Delta Canada visitors.
• Administrative management
o Prepare genetic reports as required.
o Maintain data quality control.
• Post-secondary degree in Genetics, Agriculture or Business (M.Sc. or an Ph.D.).
• Strong team leadership and people management skills with a great ability to build and maintain relationships.
• Knowledge and passion for genetics and pig breeding programs. Experience within a genetics company or R&D position is preferred and nutrition knowledge would be beneficial.
• Good understanding of the agriculture business.
• Strong commitment to providing top-notch customer service.
• Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills with strong verbal and written
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced R&D environment.
• Travel within Canada and Internationally required, attending initial training in Europe
(period of 3 to 6 months).
• May require evening/weekend work and travel.
• Mental: strong ability to balance multiple priorities.
Salary and Benefits
• Salary: depending on experience plus annual bonus
• Benefits: company vehicle, a comprehensive benefits package including health and dental and registered pension plan (50% employer:50% employee)
If you want to be part of a progressive, world leader in swine genetics please email your resume to: email@example.com
For further information please see; www.topigsnorsvin.com
Job Description: Full-time Genetic Nucleus Swine Technicians
3 Locations: South East Manitoba (near La Broquerie) and the Interlake (near
Teulon) and the Interlake (near Woodlands)
Date: December 2018
Topigs Norsvin Canada Inc. a world leader in swine genetics is looking for permanent, full time Swine Technicians to work within their genetic nucleus facilities
Duties and responsibilities
• Ensuring animal health and welfare
• Daily activities such as but not limited to; care and feeding, health checks and vaccinations, moving and washing, data collection e.g. weighing, semen collection and lab work, maintenance work and record keeping
• Working within the genetic production team to optimize production and maximize genetic improvement
• Ensure production of top notch quality of breeding stock for customers
• Follow and enforce all biosecurity, animal welfare and genetic protocols
• Degree or Diploma in Agriculture
• At least two years of commercial experience in a swine production role, nucleus or multiplication experience would be considered an asset
• Strong leadership skills with respect to working with team members and managing other staff
• Excellent problem-solving and analytical skill
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
Salary: starting at $15.29 per hour, depending on experience
Benefits: a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and registered pension plan, plus production bonus program
If you want to be part of a progressive, world leader in swine genetics please forward your resume to: Topigs Norsvin Canada Inc. Attention of Mike Shaw
Fax: 1-204-489-3152 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a student and want information about internships, graduation papers and jobs please e-mail your questions to: email@example.com.